May 11, 2012

Fire at the Feral Cat Trailer

Our main Feral Cat refuge trailer caught fire about two hours ago! At this point I don't know about lost cats. I hope they all got out. I tried. It may be quite a while before I know more. And I don't feel very well at the moment. It's a sad day. I will update this post when I have something to report.

UPDATES:
Friday PM: There are 4 cats unaccounted for, but I'm still hoping that they are just hiding. It was pretty scary. I can't say for sure, though. The cause of the fire was determined to be an electrical short in a a ceiling light.

Friday/Saturday 2 AM ... I found Basquiat, or he found me. He was one of the missing ones. He's fine but shaken and still scared. Keeping him in my sister's house overnight.

Saturday AM: Still missing at this time are Gizmo, Gadget and Mort.  I haven't given up hope, though.

Saturday 11:30 AM: MORT is still with us!  I found him today IN the burned out trailer...but obviously he'd gotten out during the fire. He was just inspecting what was left of his home.  Basquiat was there too, both imploring me to please fix it.
MORT : Alive And Well ...But Sad


Not much left
Monday PM: Gizmo finally showed up for an evening feeding, I think. He's a very nondescript tabby so I'm not always certain when I see him. He looks lost and unhappy but physically fine..

8 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, Chriss - that is terrible news !!!
    I presume the cats got out as they are very smoke sensitive and would have left... I look forward to hearing more news from you soon.
    I can completely sympathize about having fire hit home... i went through it 2 years ago and the scar on the land has not yet recovered.
    Pls keep us posted. so sorry !
    Nicole @brizel4theanimals

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Please update us when you can. We are purring and praying, and sending positive energy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying the last three cats show up! Was there an open door or window that they could have fled the trailer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, there was an open escape window, and I also opened the door and tried to shoo anyone left inside out that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Chriss! How horrifying! I am so glad I read this now and know that at least 3 of the 4 are safe. Praying for Gizmo to wander in soon! Prayers for you, too....what will you do?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much. Well, I don't really know yet. Thankfully, it's getting toward summer so I don't have to hurry to figure out a new shelter for the cats. They have places they can get under, in the meantime. Eventually, maybe I'll try to build something that will accommodate their bad weather needs. Or I may try to find another old trailer, which is often cheaper than building.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes - if anything positive, it is that warm weather is here. I am tweeting to encourage donations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THANKS for all the updates and am grateful that all the cats are safe ! Cleaning up will take some doing too- wish i was nearer geographically to help with that :(

    Perhaps you can do a post asking for a used trailer to be donated and then those of us who have Fb, Twitter, Blogs can promote that call ? Maybe you can put an adv in your local Craigs list for one ?

    best wishes,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome! I always answer questions if I can.